At all our speed events drivers have the opportunity of two practice runs in the morning, or on Saturday if it is a 2 day event, followed by 2 competition runs in the afternoon or on the Sunday. Most VSCC events allow for a car to be shared by 2 drivers.
All our Speed events cater for Pre-war Sports and Racing cars which are divided into capacity classes. A number of them include classes for Post-war racing cars and 1950s Sports-cars. The entry numbers can range from 100 to over 250 depending on the venue.
In addition to Silverstone, we have Speed events this year at the following iconic venues: Curborough, Wiscombe, Harewood, Shelsley Walsh, Prescott, Loton Park, and Goodwood for our Autumn Sprint. In June we also have our Speed Trials as part of the Brooklands Double Twelve Motor Sport Festival which are held on the performance handling circuit at Mercedes-Benz World in Surrey.
Some thoughts from Club Members:
‘Great day and great company, didn't see a single wheel turn in anger (but that often happens). As usual there was a great selection of cars, many of which you don't see very often. Great to see Nanette and Kim II. Highlight of the day was a non-competing car. Thank you to all the marshal's for all of their hard work. Apart from Prescott this is my favourite event of the year.’ Tom Hunt
‘I can only echo what has been said already but a huge thanks to the marshals on the day, they were great and made the day run so smoothly; all of them did a great job. Sprint was fun and more challenging that I had expected, in fact, for me, it got more challenging as the day went on. Great to be first out after rain for each half of the day, made things a little more exciting if a tad slower but who cares.’ Charles Beeden
- Online (click here)
- Download a PDF entry form and send it back by either post, email or fax (details at the bottom of this page)
- Send a SAE to the Club office for an entry form (address at the bottom of this page)
If an event is over subscribed we select the final entries in line with the Clubs selection criteria (click here)
It is mandatory for competitors to carry a Fire Extinguisher of a minimum size of 1.75 litres of AFFF or similar. Powder and BCF are specifically banned. 2 x 1 litre extinguishers are acceptable.
You are required to have personal safety equipment that complies with MSA Regulations, the items listed below are mandatory requirements:
- Overalls are required to comply with FIA 8856-2000 or FIA 1986 Standard.
- Helmets are required to comply with FIA 8860-2004 (not valid after 31/12/20), FIA 8860-2010, FIA 8859-2015, SNELL SA2005 (not valid after 31/12/18), SNELL SA2010 (not valid after 31/12/23), SNELL SA2015 (not valid after 31/12/23), SNELL SAH2010 (not valid after 31/12/23) and SFI Foundation 31.1A, 31.2A (not valid after 31/12/18).
- Gloves are required to be Fire Resistant and are mandatory.
- Boots which are Fire Resistant are strongly recommended.
The first car to take the honour of opening VSCC’s love affair with Speed events was Lieutenant-Colonel J Clutton’s 16hp 30cwt 1910 Fafnir, and ultimately lead to the inspiration for the Edwardian Classes which form an interesting and spectacular part of today's Speed events.
Our most famous and popular Hill Climb takes place at Prescott Speed Hill Climb, with the first running of this event taking place in 1938.
All of our Speed events are open to the public and volunteers are needed to sell programmes, assist with car parking and on the Club’s display unit.
If you would like to get involved and help by marshalling at a Speed event please click here